Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Milk Dilemma

Okay, I have a question for everyone. What do you do if your one year old will not drink milk???
Babies NEED milk, right? That's what I've always heard, anyway. So when Rebecca turned one, a month ago I put some whole milk in her cup and she took a sip and threw it on the floor. She did this every day for a week, so I thought "I need to trick her."
So...I have tried so far...adding chocolate milk powder, watering it down, warming it up, and adding it to juice-sick, I know, but I am desperate! Every time, she tastes the milk, she throws the cup on the floor and will have nothing to do with it.
What do you think, all you experienced mothers? I am clueless, but I heard kids this age need 4 servings of milk every day. So could I just give her cheese and yogurt every day and nurse her in the morning and at night, and call that good? Or is she milk deprived because she isn't getting MILK? I know that now is the time she is building strong bones, so I still try every day, but it is getting frustrating. I don't show her that I'm frustrated though, I make it look like I don't care if she drinks it or not, I'm just offering it to her...BUT I DO CARE!! What should I do??
I have nursed Rebecca for a year now, and I am ready to stop, but since it is the only milk she gets, I am having inner conflict and feeling like I better just keep nursing, at least until I can figure out how to get the other milk into her.
Any suggestions??? Please???

4 comments:

ClancyPants said...

I'd keep nursing as long as you can stand to and after that, I think getting her other dairy is fine. Cheese, yogurt, etc.

I had a cousin who had a milk allergy. After his mom stopped nursing him he couldn't drink milk at all. He eventually outgrew it, but he didn't have milk EVER until he was about 5 years old.

I wouldn't worry about it. :) She'll be fine. How about my Rohan who won't eat ONE SINGLE fruit OR vegetable? Now that's something I am not sure what to do about. I trick him sometimes and grind up veggies to put in things like meatloaf, and sometimes I give him smoothies with fruit in them... but I am not sure what to do with that kid. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

My gut instinct says the other dairy products should fulfil her nutrient needs, but I'd call her doctor to be sure. Another thought, Jeff wouldn't eat peanut butter when he was an infant and toddler. He just refused it. Later we found out (after a trip to the hospital with aniflactic shock reaction) that he was allergic to it. I don't know if that would happen with milk, but I'd definitely check with the doc.

Darla and Kirk Nuttall said...

Kristy, If you have a pump, try to pump some of your milk and mix it with whole milk. First try four ounces of your milk with 2 ounces of whole milk mixed in with it then after a week of her taking that add more whole milk and less of your milk. That is what I did with Calista. I just eased her into it and she didn't have any problem with the taste and after four weeks of getting less of your milk she will get used to the taste of regular milk. At first I had to warm up the whole milk and warmed it up less and less. Just ease her into it.
If that doesn't work I would check with her doctor, because she might be allergic or she might just be stubborn. Good luck! Let me know if you need some help and support.
Darla

Maria Hart said...

She needs four servings of dairy, not just milk. You are doing a great job if she will eat calcium-rich foods such as yogurt and cheese. When Angie was one, she drank four cups of milk (at least) AND loved her yogurt and cheese. She got constipated and the Dr. told us to cut back on our dairy intake. Too much of a good thing causes problems as well.

Also, I second Darla's advice... introduce milk slowly, mixed with breastmilk. It is a new food, taste, texture, maybe the cup bothers her... kids need a chance to learn to like new things.

One other trick, give her a little bowl of milk and something to dunk such as graham crackers, Nilla cookies, bagel bits, whatever. Kids love soggy food! Maybe she will get used to the taste of milk by tasting it on foods she already likes.